Follow by Email

Monday, 31 October 2016

Guava Moth Traps, Transition Town Seed Swap.

Hi All! Small positives for Plastic Bag Free when I was shopping last week. First I came across this sign in our local library



Then my local New World supermarket have started giving a 5c/bag discount (up to 5 bags) when you bring in your own bags (unless you are already getting their discounted coffees). It's not huge, but at least moving in the right direction.

In my last post I had made a Guava Moth trap - I can now report that it does definitely work - so here's the recipe.

Guava Moth Lure

Mix: 1 litre of boiling water
       1 tsp of vegemite or marmite
       100g sugar
       1 tsp vanilla essence

then add 1 tsp of ammonia (available at the supermarket).

Divide the mixture between 4 x 2litre milkbottles (or similar), with windows cut as per picture.


Tie the bottles into your fruit trees, using a short tie so they don't blow about and spill.

The lure will last about  month, but may need straining every few days.
It reportedly takes two evenings for the moths to find the traps.

This is what Guava moths look like...

Image from local matters.co.nz


and the damage they do...
Image from Kerikeri Garden Centre


We went to a Transition Towns Seed Swap in the weekend - Guava moths are ruining everyone's home fruit crops, so the lure recipe was really popular.
I kicked myself for not taking photos of the Seed Swap for you. There were about 20 people, everyone bringing along seedlings, cuttings, seeds and plants to share. It was our first one, and we came away loaded up with tarragon, basil, hydrangea, cherimoya, hellebores, tomatoes, tobacco (to kill chewing insects apparently), seeds of bean,cress and a weird courgette variety.

Yay! free plants


The host's garden, on a standard town section had 50 varieties of fruit trees and berries.
If you've never heard of Transition Towns, and international organization promoting positive grassroots community projects then here is a Wiki link .

3 comments:

  1. Love the no plastic bag sign. My town is way behind on the subject of plastic bags. I carry my own reusable bags everywhere I go but have had many stressful situations in doing so. At one store I got a huge lecture on how difficult I was making the cashier's day and how plastic bags are better. The biggest problem I have is catching the person bagging my purchases. The people here seem to think what I want is for them to bag my purchases in their single use plastic bags and then put those bags into my reusable one. I still can't get my head around why this is such a hard thing to get people used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois, some of our supermarkets are reportedly like that too. I have been thinking that I will need to change and shop there for a little while so that we can have a little conversation each time. Some people can't think further than what is immediately in front of them, sadly.

      Delete
  2. Those are very encouraging "signs of the times". We have a couple of grouches at our closest local store who don't like to pack my cloth bags and when I have to go through their line I volunteer right away to do it myself. On the whole the clerks remark positively on my bags as it seems it's the first time they have seen cloth bags. I always make conversation in hopes that someone else will take the hint and do the same.
    I don't think we have guava moths but it's great that your experiment is working.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.