Saturday 18 April 2015

Rattan Blind Makeover with Tapa Cloth

For a long time I have been meaning to do something about our bedroom blind. Now that we have family staying a while it was a little more urgent, given that the current rattan one didn't allow full privacy at night.

Rattan blind before - lets in too much light, and no privacy


The window is quite a big one, so a new blind would have needed to be custom made. A year or so ago we bought a huge tapa cloth on Trademe, which I have been using for various projects from lampshades to giftwrap and Christmas decorations for my Pacifica themed Christmas. I had the brilliant idea of lining the rattan blind with tapa cloth - and here is the result. 

Rattan blind with tapa cloth lining


I just took the blind down, cut a piece of tapa to fit the blind, slipped it in behind the cords then hand sewed it to the top of the blind, and at various other points to fit it snug.
I love how it looks and it works a treat now - plus it will keep the room warmer in winter. 
This idea could be adapted to all sorts of other materials - drop cloths, sheets or just curtain material.
Tapa is bark cloth, handmade in the Pacific Islands.

5 comments:

  1. That's a brilliant idea, and what a gorgeous design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm pleased that you liked and stopped in for a kind comment.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea. And the cloth is lovely with the plant design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, I can't tell you how long I'd been meaning to do that makeover!

      Delete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.