Monday 23 June 2014

Pasties Recipe and Snippets from Auckland

Last weekend we had lots to do in Auckland, including a trip to the Auckland Art Gallery. We walked past Pauanesia - a Kiwiana shop -  and I just had to pop in because they stock clever handmade items. I was really impressed with their displays, using painted nikau fronds.

Love the birds made from upcycled woolen blankets, and of course the tapa lamp shades


I liked these works at the Art Gallery by Ralph Paine... They are called Matrix; Reference; Index.  
They use New Zealand images and references; the juxtaposition looks interesting to me.






Pasties Recipe

I have been making this recipe for decades and it never fails. Apparently we can't call them Cornish Pasties, because we don't live in Cornwall, much like you can't call that bubbly wine Champagne, unless it is made in the Champagne region of France.
This recipe makes about 12 pasties, and they are great reheated in the microwave for lunch the next day.

Pasties - an economical and popular meal


Pastry
4 cups of plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
250g (8oz) of butter
1 cup of water

I mix this in the food processor, but by hand you rub the butter into the flour and salt until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
Add the water and mix to a firm dough.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 3mm (1/8") thick. Cut into circles using a saucer as a guide.

Filling
250 g round steak, trimmed and cubed - but I just use prime mince.
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
2 turnips (I always skip these)
pinch of thyme
salt and pepper,
1 Tbsp of finely chopped parsley
3 Tbsp of water

Mix the filling ingredients and place 2 heaped tablespoonfuls in the centre of each circle. Bring the edges of the pasty together and pinch to close - I tend to wet the edges a little so they stick together better.



They can be glazed with egg yolk and milk, but I don't bother.
Bake in a hot oven, say 220c for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate for a further 20 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog - it is just great when you leave me a comment.